Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
What is MCA’s Inclement Weather Policy?
Before a decision is made to close the school, information from the Milwaukee County Transit System, weather reports on current and pending conditions, and road condition reports from the area are taken into consideration. Milwaukee Collegiate Academy will automatically close when Milwaukee Public Schools close due to inclement weather.
If conditions are deemed unsafe, the Principal will make a decision to close the school. It is our intent to make a decision no later than 6:00 a.m. When a decision is made to close school, we will notify parents and students through various channels:
- All parents/guardians will receive a Blackboard phone message.
- The school closing notice will be posted on the school website at www.milwaukeecollegiateacademy.org, on our Facebook page, Instagram and on Twitter.
- The local media will also be contacted. Please keep in mind that even though a decision is made at this early hour, it may take time for the media to announce the closing. It is a very busy time for the media as they receive a barrage of phone calls.
- If it is deemed appropriate to close schools before the end of the school day, we will attempt to call all parents and/or guardians at using the Blackboard system or work to notify them of the early dismissal.
How do I pick-up my student during the school day?
All early pick-ups must be processed through the school office. Any child leaving the school grounds other than at regular dismissal time MUST be picked up in the office by a parent or other representative as designated as an emergency contact. Please send a note to the office in the morning if you know you, or any other person that you designate will be picking up your child during the day.
What is the Daily Bell Schedule?
Students are scheduled to be on campus before the first bell at 7:55 a.m. Students may enter for breakfast at 7:35 a.m. The school day ends at 3:43 p.m. On Early Release Days, scholars are typically released at 1 p.m. For a detailed breakdown of MCA’s Bell Schedule, please click here.
Where can I find MCA school year calendar?
For downloadable PDF of MCA’s school year calendar, please click here.
What is MCA’s policy regarding Cell Phones and Electronic Devices?
For the safety of all students and for a learning environment that is free of distractions, cell phones must be turned into the office upon entering MCA. Other listed items must remain in student lockers during the day. Any cell phone or electronic device found in a student’s possession will be confiscated. A phone or electronic device will not be returned to the student. If a phone or electronic device is confiscated from a student, parents/guardians must schedule an appointment to pick up the device. If a device is confiscated from a student a second time, it will not be returned until the end of the academic year or it can be returned by paying a $25 penalty for the first infraction and a $50 penalty for each subsequent occurrence. Items prohibited in classrooms, hallways, and the cafeteria include, but are not limited to:
- Cellular (Cell) Phones
- Electronic games
- Music players (iPods, mp3 players, etc.)
- Digital cameras
Who should I call if my student will be late or absent from school?
Parents or guardians should call the Milwaukee Collegiate Academy Office no later than 7:30 a.m. if their student will be late or absent from school at (414) 873-4014. A written excuse is required when a student misses school.
How will I be contacted in case of an emergency?
Milwaukee Collegiate Academy uses Blackboard Connect that enables us to personally communicate with parents about emergency situations, school events and important issues impacting your child. It will allow us to send personalized voice messages to your family’s home, work or cell phones, e-mail communications, and even text messages.
- When a call comes from the school your caller ID will display the school phone number.
- When listening to a message, please be aware that background noise will cause the system to stop and start. It is carefully calibrated to determine whether a person or an answering machine/voicemail has been reached, and background noise may affect the delivery. If possible, move to a quiet area, or press the “mute” button on your phone.
- If you missed any part of a message, please stay on the line and press the “*” (star) key on your phone to hear the entire message again.
Please be aware that the Blackboard Connect service cannot dial an extension, so be sure the numbers you include are direct lines. Also, we recommend that attendance messages be routed to a number other than the home telephone number.
Without current phone numbers and email addresses, it is impossible for us to reach parents or guardians in case of an emergency. Please update the school office with new contact information since release in case of emergency will depend on this data. We must have at least one phone number where someone can be reached in case your child is ill or injured. Please include on the emergency sheet the name of any adult who will be picking up your child. For more information, please call our office at (414) 873-4014.
How to I contact a teacher or staff member?
Our staff is comprised of a special group of people who believe in excellence. they greet every student by name every day, and many will double as mentors and personal tutors to your student. To contact a member of our staff, please click here for a directory.
Where can I find more information about MCA’s policies and procedures?
MCA’s Family Handbook is an excellent resource for more information about Coursework Credit Requirements, Culture Commitments including attendance procedures, school operations, and much more. To download MCA’s Family Handbook, please click here.
Questions? Send Us a Message
Milwaukee Collegiate Academy
4030 N. 29th Street,
Milwaukee, WI 53216
PHONE: (414) 873-4014
FAX: (414) 873-4344
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Judith Parker, Principal
© 2016 Milwaukee Collegiate Academy
Our Eight Character Strengths
- Social Intelligence
- Self Control