Throughout the day we don’t usually pay much mind to our breathing. We tend to take for granted (because we can) the fact that our bodies will keep us alive by taking natural, shallow breaths throughout the day. There are different ways of breathing, however, that can do so much more than keep us alive!
Today we’re going to try a breath called Nadi Shodhan Pranayama, or ‘alternate nostril breathing’. You might feel silly trying this one, but it’s awesome for clearing the mind, relieving stress, and preparing you to enter meditation. Try it out!
Alternate nostril breathing:
- Place your right index and middle finger on your third eye (right between your eyebrows).
- Place your thumb over your right nostril, and draw a long breath in through your left nostril.
- While your lungs of full of breath, uncover your right nostril, and cover your left nostril with your ring finger, then exhale.
- Keep your fingers as they are then draw a breath in through your right nostril.
- When your lungs of full of breath, uncover your left nostril, cover your right nostril with your thumb, and exhale.
- Continue this pattern.
Take a look at this video if that was unclear. It will show you the way:)
Have a beautiful rest of your day, and don’t let this be your last mindful moment of the week!